Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bike et al update

On Tuesday the 6th after work, I rode to the bike shop and purchased my upgrades. How I came up with $50-$60 is beyond me (at least for the moment) because it set me back $82 for the rack, headlight, taillight, under-seat wedge and cargo net.

As of Friday the 8th, I estimate I have logged 82.5 miles on the bike this year (not sure what my total is - can't find the notebook I used last year to log my miles). This Friday should bring that total to 114.2. I again rode my bike to my Monday night volleyball match (where again, we lost 2-1). On Wednesday we had the final night of our tournament for that particular league. I carpooled with my girlfriend and put the bike in the bed of her truck in case she wanted to leave shortly after the tournament and I wanted to stay and play a bit longer. Well we ended up winning the tournament after three games, 25-19 or 20-ish, 29-27, and the final 25-22. Afterwards we went to the restaurant upstairs at the Tucson Racquet Club to eat our free cheese crisp (with half-chicken and half-green chilis) and drink our free pitcher of beer. I couldn't tell you want the beer was since I wasn't there when my teammates ordered it, nor did I really care. I trust their judgement. Amy decided to leave right afterwards but the rest of us played some drunken volleyball before calling it an evening, so I rode the 5.5 miles home, arriving just after 11:30. At some point I realized I left my helmet in Amy's truck, so I had to do it with no cranial protection. Scary.

On Saturday, I went with Amy to visit her family who was camping in Tombstone for Mother's Day weekend. She mostly wanted to spend time with her grandmother, Sophie, who is a riot! At 87 years old the woman has tons of energy (and can put away a whole plate of biscuits and gravy, much to my dismay) and is only barely showing signs of slowing down. Amy describes her as a fiercly independent woman who really doesn't take any crap from anybody. Kudos to Sophie! We left Sunday afternoon and had enough time to get home, shower and take a long nap.

Monday (my new day off), Amy took a "mental health day" as she called it. She has been dealing with her ex-husband who still owes her money from their house they owned, but hasn't (according to her, and I have no reason not to believe her) done his part to close out his end of the deal. It all started before the recession, but he didn't get the house refinanced when he said he would, and since then housing prices have plummeted and he's lost his job. Life sucks, hence the need for a "mental health day." I kicked ass cleaning up the house (mostly) and in the afternoon we went out to buy a medicine cabinet, exhaust fan cover and supply air register, all for my second bathroom (which Amy now uses exclusively). Unfortunately we purchased these items later in the day on Monday, so I've yet to install any of it. Hopefully I can get it all taken care of this weekend. The only remaining item for that bathroom is a base board, but I'm not planning to do that anytime in the near future.

I made meal plans to get us through this weekend before needing to re-stock. I need to cull through some new (and easy) recipes to get us through until the end of the month. I haven't been using the crockpot as often as I should, so I think I might find some new crockpot recipes. The prep time can sometimes be obnoxious, but the leftovers are usually good for quite a while!

Starting Saturday, I'm picking my studies back up in preparation for my June 15th Building Technologies Exam. I took it back in October and failed it, unfortunately. This time around I should be able to pass it relatively easy. The next exam will be a re-take of my Building Planning exam (which I failed because I ran out of time on the shorter vignette - Interior Layout), which will be available to take in September. Pending the results of the most recent test, Pre-Design (105 multiple choice questions), BP should be my final test. After that test, I will officially (hopefully) be an Architect!

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment