Monday, April 27, 2009

Day 5

Well I exceeded my goal for last week, which was to ride my bike to work three out of five days. I rode it Tuesday through Friday, and I have to say I'm very pleased with myself. I decided I would try to ride it all week if I could, so I made the trek this morning and I look forward to meeting this goal!

I play volleyball in a league on Mondays and Wednesdays, and then just for fun on Sundays. I've ridden my bike in the past to the two leagues but since my game tonight is at 9, I don't think I'll be riding. As much as I enjoy it, I don't have any lights on my bike, and I really want to get to bed at a reasonable hour.  The league on Wednesday is sand, so some of us stay late and play doubles. Afterwards is usually pretty late and I'm pretty exhausted so I don't ride my bike. If I don't stay late, I'm usually car-pooling with my girlfriend who plays on my team.

I tend to grocery shop every two weeks, although since returning from vacation I haven't gotten around to draft meal plas for two weeks at a time. Part of that stems from the fact that my girlfriend moved in with me into my 950 SF townhouse the weekend before we left. There is stuff everywhere and my fridge is almost spilling over with items we haven't even yet tried to account for in our meal routines. As we get back on track, I would like to explore further the possibility of grocery shopping on my bike. I understand I will need a trailer of some sort which is large enough for two weeks worth of grocery shopping and has a compartment for cool/frozen items.

These are areas in which I would like to explore riding more, and hopefully as I get more comfortable and responsible with my time management, I will. In the meantime, another goal I have set for myself was to get through the rest of April without purchasing gasoline. I have three days remaining and I'm probably just over 1/8th of a tank. That will probably get me to my volleyball match tonight and then I will be officially warned with the "low fuel" light. I don't anticipate needing to drive anywhere else this week (Wednesday will probably have Amy and me car-pooling in her truck). If I meet my goal, then the idea is to reward myself with a few things:
1. Head and tail lights
2. Under-seat wedge for the essentials (I currently carry these in my backpack).
3. A 40# rack so I can place on top, a gym bag with clothes. I won't have to carry a backpack anymore...
4. A cargo net for the rack
Total: +/- $50 depending if I can find the items on-sale. At the very least, riding my bike this month has saved me about $60, so it's a worthy investment. There are some pretty good bike shops in town, so I plan to do all of my shopping online and will hopefully get everything at one place. I know I should take my bike to pick the items up (to save money from driving and to have it there to make sure all of the items fit), but I'm not convinced I'm going to.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep on trek...er biking!

No comments:

Post a Comment